Performance54 is an energetic, innovative golf marketing agency, with a client base throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Specialising in sponsorship strategy and activation, tournament promotion and management, PR and communications, and destination marketing, the Performance54 team boasts unrivalled experience and is trusted by some of the world’s best-known brands.
The opportunity exists for an experienced, driven, and organised Communications Manager (Events) to join the Performance54 team, leading a team in its delivery of an extensive golf and corporate event portfolio. The desired candidate will be based out of our office in Riyadh (KSA), with regular international travel required.
A passion for the game of golf and extensive experience in a strategic media or communications role within the golf or sports industries are essential.
The candidate must also be comfortable working on multiple projects concurrently and meeting tight deadlines. Experience in delivering communications programmes for major international events is highly desirable.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy and Planning
- Working closely with the Campaign and Content and Activations Leads, formulate a PR & Communications strategy and timeline, providing significant ROI to event partners
- Act as a central contributor to the key messaging for each event, ensuring that all channels (internal and external) promote and reinforce strategic narratives
- Segment key audiences and develop comms tactics which resonate with each
- Develop a thorough crisis communications strategy and action plan for each event, ensuring that situations which may cause a risk to reputation have been foreseen and addressed
- Conceptualise event activations and legacy programmes which have a real impact and then deliver significant media returns through their communication
- Liaise directly with event sponsors, sanctioning partners and the event owner to ensure the communications programme is providing value to their own marketing efforts. Likewise, identify opportunities whereby the event itself stands to benefit through closer working with these vested parties.
Leadership & Coordination
- Manage a team of internal and freelance communications staff in the delivery of the communications programme for each event
- Provide feedback and key learnings to junior members of the team to aid their personal development
- Report regularly to event sponsors and the event owner regarding comms planning to ensure widespread awareness and acceptance of the strategy and its tactics
- Contribute to cohesive ways of working across the event marketing team to ensure full benefit is derived all marketing activity
- Manage the practicalities of the communications programme, including policies, procedures, systems, staff roles and responsibilities and budgets.
- Recruit freelance communications professionals for event projects
Media engagement and liaison
- Utilise excellent media contacts in golf across broadcast, print, online and social media to deliver outstanding returns for all events
- Demonstrate cognisance of sensitivities and preferences through a communications programme tailored to the geographical locations of and target markets for each event
- Distribute faultless communications to media targets and develop opportunities for select media targets to go deeper in their telling of key stories through close working relationships
- Leverage existing media partnerships through the development and distribution of additional or bespoke assets and/or information
Press centre management
- Play the lead role in the management of the press centre on site at events, including:
– The hosting of press conferences, both virtual and in-person
– The issuing of media accreditation notices and ensuring key media are engaged early in order to secure their attendance
– The management of a multi-lingual newsroom, ensuring timely communications following the events of the day
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assume control of P54’s media monitoring systems for events
- Create and share event reports with stakeholders in a timely manner throughout the campaign
Health and Safety
- Ensure that all programmes, activities, and events are developed and conducted in line with Health, Safety and Safeguarding guidelines, conducting any necessary risk assessments as required.
SPECIAL SKILLS/EXPERIENCE/APTITUDES NEEDED:
- Knowledge of current trends relating to sports marketing and communications
- Intimate knowledge of the golf media landscape globally and an outstanding database of contacts in the golf media sector
- Experience in brand building and narrative development to assist with the launch of new event properties
- Proven experience in a lead consumer communications role for a respected brand, organisation or event connected to golf
- Experienced in managing budgets with good financial awareness
- Capacity to inspire, influence and motivate others; ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a diverse range of people,
including presenting to high level stakeholders
- Good organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks
- Administrative and IT skills, and an ability to maintain records and produce reports
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Company and Personal Bonus Scheme
- 33 days annual leave (including national holidays)
- International travel
- Reports to Communications Director